For bike builder Joey Hensley of Back Yard Baggers in Winston Salem, NC, modifying bikes with the wow factor is what he does best. Having been building Harleys for only three years, Hensley has already perfected the formula to an award-winning bike, as proven by his No. 25 custom transformation of a stock Harley-Davidson Electra Glide into a show-stopping trophy winner.
Everyone who sees the bike walks over to know what the number stands for. A lot of people thought it was the size of the wheel, but it’s really the day my son was born.Built about a year ago, Hensley wanted a color combination that was both over the top and would really catch people’s attention and decided on a powder-coated lime green with black and silver leafing. But the conversation starter is the No. 25 on the gas tank.
“Everyone who sees the bike walks over to know what the number stands for,” Hensley says. “A lot of people thought it was the size of the wheel, but it’s really the day my son was born.”
Another highlight of the bike that adds to its wow factor is its suicide shifters, which replace traditional shifters. “It’s one of my favorite features on the bike,” he admits. “Most people usually see you pulling the clutch with your hands and using your foot to shift it, but when they see me riding it, they see that I have to pull the clutch on the lever that sticks out from the left side. They call it a suicide shift because it’s like you’re trying to commit suicide because it’s dangerous to ride like that.”
Hensley’s other favorite attribute of the bike is its custom air ride system that he’s well known for in the scene. “I have a custom air ride that I’ve built on these bikes that I’ve pretty much mastered,” he explains. “With other air ride systems, you have to wait a while until the bike lifts up once you hit the switches, but my bike immediately jumps off the ground so there’s no waiting. It gets a lot of attention from people when I have to go and ride it somewhere.”
Since it’s won numerous awards at shows, Hensley has decided that the bike needed to undergo a transformation and is currently working on revamping the entire bike.
TECH SPECS: 1994 Harley-Davidson Electra Gilde
Owner: Joey Hensley
Shop: Back Yard Baggers
336.755.5010 | backyardbaggers.net
• 88 cub. in. Harley-Davidson engine
• Engine and heads built by Kendall Johnson Customs
• Pistons built by JE Pistons
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
• Front Suspension Back Yard Baggers Air Ride
• Hawg Halters Inc. triple trees
• Rear Shocks Back Yard Baggers Air Suspension
• 30” Metalsport Roxy 3D front wheel
• Hawg Halters Inc. front brake caliper
• Metalsport front brake rotor
• Stock Harley-Davidson rear wheel
Paint and Body
• Black, Green and Silver Leaf painted by Alex Mabe
• Graphics by Pork Chopp
• Powdercoating by Exotics Inc. / Kernersville,NC
• Sinister Industries front fender spacers
• Bad Dad Inc. rear fender and rear fender fillers
• Molded and smoothed stock Fat Boy gas tank
• Smooth Apes handlebars by Brad Magnus, AKA The Kid
• Battistinis USA hand controls and switches
• Battistinis USA passenger pegs and floorboards
• Headwinds headlight
• Bad Dad Inc. stretched headlight nacelle
• Sinister Industries taillight and license mount
• Harley-Davidson seat
• Sinister Industries saddlebags and saddlebag extension
• Grandeur Cycle Auto Clutch
• Suicide Shifter
• Integrated Foot Brake for Front and Rear Brakes
Fabrication, welding and assembly done by Joey Hensley with a build time of 2 months.
Special thanks to George at Exotics Inc. in Kernersville, NC and Alex Mabe and Matt Reifsnider for paint and body.